jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013

[UN POCO DE ARCHIVO] Black Sabbath con Dave Walker en las voces {octubre del 77-enero de 78}


Line-up:
  • Dave Walker – Vocals
  • Tony Iommi – Guitar
  • Geezer Butler – Bass
  • Bill Ward – Drums

Albums from this lineup

None, although music written during this time turned up on the Never Say Die album




Ozzy left Black Sabbath in October of 1977 to try and form the first incarnation of “Blizzard of Ozz”. Needing a new vocalist, Tony Iommi remembered Dave Walker from their old Birmingham days and contacted him in San Francisco to ask him to come out to join Black Sabbath. On the flight from San Francisco to London in November 1977 and for the next three weeks, Walker had written lyrics to music the rest of Black Sabbath (Iommi on guitar, Terry “Geezer” Butler on bass and drummer Bill Ward) had put together for their next album (though no Walker vocals had been recorded) and they, along with Walker, appeared on the BBC Midlands TV program called “Look Hear” performing what turned out to be an early draft of “Junior’s Eyes” on January 6, 1978. I’m not entirely sure what he did immediately after his exit from Black Sabbath, but I recently got reports that he rejoined Savoy Brown and recorded three albums with them from 1988-1990.


One time I was talking to Bill Ward about this time of the band’s history, and Bill Ward had this to say about the Dave Walker era Black Sabbath…

“No, these were not the very best of times. I was pretty much numb at that time period. Ozzy’s father Jack had died, and we were making I guess slow progress on the album. Juniors’ Eyes was a song very much for Oz and his dad. I mention that only because it was a song we did live at a lunchtime BBC show in Birmingham with Dave Walker. I have forgotten what else we did with Dave on that show, I’m pretty sure we did Juniors’ Eyes though, and of course it didn’t work. Not because of Dave, because the song was Ozzy’s as far as I was concerned. I felt crap at that time while Oz was away. If I sound vague, I am vague and very foggy about back then. We all liked Dave Walker as a mate so to speak. We got to know him when he fronted with Savoy Brown, and earlier when Dave played in the Redcaps, an early Birmingham band, from 60s. I liked Dave a lot, and I thought he had a great voice. When it came time to choose another singer all kinds of names came up, but Dave’s stayed. So, Dave flew in from Frisco to Field Farm, where we got on with rehearsals. Oddly enough, it was me who let Dave know that things were not working out, “I volunteered again.” I felt awkward and uncomfortable telling Dave this, as I liked him as a person very much. When Oz started back at rehearsals everything felt normal again, even though I was buried in a bottle, with Oz there it was right. We went on to complete Never Say Die and the Never Say Die tour. It’s all quite sad to recall actually.”





http://www.black-sabbath.com/theband/timeline/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario